I was never a big fan of strawberries and needless to say will never choose a strawberry shortcake as my choice of cake for any occassions. However, I stumbled upon a few blogs that made such inspiring strawberry shortcakes and I googled and even youtube-d to get more inspired than ever. So, I started gathering my thoughts on how to get on with making one. Firstly, I do not wish to end up with a big cake because there was no special occassion at home to celebrate but oh! I so wanted to try making one. I do not have a small cake pan and I only have a small swiss roll pan. All the recipes out there either called for a round or square pan. I figured if I baked mine on a swiss roll pan, I just cut it up and layer the slices. I was determined no matter what. I went ahead as planned and I am quite satisfied with the outcome although the whole cake did not look pro enough, I have to slice it to shape before it is picture friendly enough. But the taste of the cake is so good. I am a fan now! Call me a convert, whatever!
The recipe I used is adapted from the video here :
For the sponge :
60g castor sugar
60g top flour (sifted 3 times)
20g butter melted in 1 tbsp of milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
For the syrup :
20ml hot water
1/2 tbsp.castor sugar
For the filling :
Adequate strawberries, sliced
200 ml whipping cream
1.5 tbsp icing sugar or to taste
1 tsp vanilla essence
About 1 tsp gelatin, sprinke over cold water ( abt 4-5 tsp), let stand for 5 mins. Place over hot water and stir till dissolved. Let cool.
For the topping/icing :
200 ml non dairy cream ( mine is a small cake, gauge accordingly)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Strawberries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Line a small swiss roll pan (sorry ! I don't know the dimensions of my tray) with baking paper.
- In a clean bowl, beat eggs and sugar and vanilla essence till ribbon stage.
- Add in flour in about 3 separate additions, folding gently each time till blended. Do not overmix or you will risk deflating the batter.
- Next, take out a third of the batter and fold in melted butter. Add this back to the remaining batter and fold gently till all incorporated.
- Pour the batter to the prepared pan and bake for about 15 mins.
- Remove sponge from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack covered.
- When cooled, cut the sides of the sponge and slice into 3 small equal layers.Wrap it up and keep in the fridge for a about an hour.
- Melt the sugar in hot water to make a simple syrup.
- Beat the whipping cream, icing sugar + vanilla essence till slightly thickened. Add the gelatin and beat till nedium soft peak.
- Beat the non dairy cream + vanilla essence till still peak.
To Assemble the cake :
1) Place a layer of the cake on a board or plate, brush gently with syrup and spread with whipping cream. Arrange layers of sliced strawberries on top of it and spread with more whipping cream to cover.
2) Brush another layer of cake with syrup and place on top and repeat the process.
3) Frost the entire cake with non dairy cream and decorate as desired.
4) Arrange whole strawberries on top of cake.
5) Let the cake rest for a few hours in the fridge before serving.